My bestie sent me a list of national and international food days, and I must admit that I am absolutely in love! I have literally made a list of all the days that I think I’m going to make something or buy something to treat myself of someone else… so many reasons to be in the kitchen!!
Yesterday was National Homemade Soup Day… and it was rainy… and dreary… and a little chilly… and perfect for some hot, homemade soup for one. Yes, I was a bit selfish with this dish, but that’s because my family is so picky. They want meat and I want vegetables. I mean, I eat meat, but I feel like if you love on the vegetables a little bit they’ll love you right back. My husband calls it putting some love in the pot. I think I put just enough love in this pot that this simple little soup absolutely GAVE ME LIFE!
It is thick and creamy and garlicky and the sweet peppers gives it the perfect flavor contrast! But I’m biased… You should definitely taste it for yourself.
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 1/2 head of broccoli
- 1/2 each: sweet red, yellow, and orange peppers, chopped or sliced
- 3 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 1/2 stick (4 Tbsp.) salted butter
- 1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 C vegetable stock
- 1/2 C heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 C whole milk
- Sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a bowl, add broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Stir to coat evenly. Roast on a non-stick cookie sheet for 40 minutes, stirring halfway through the cooking time. Remove from the oven and set aside. Melt butter over medium high heat and add in onions and flour to make a roux. Once thickened, slowly pour in heavy cream and milk while whisking. Slowly pour in vegetable stock and let simmer 10-15 minutes before adding in vegetables. Add in cheese (if using) and simmering an additional 10 minutes before serving.